I’m a card-carrying Democrat, but lately I’m more of a centrist. When it comes to mass shootings and most other issues, I think everyone should be a centrist because the big issue with our country is that everyone is fighting and worried about being right, or correct, and they are not solving anything. In my ever so humble opinion, the first issue we need to solve is school shootings, and all mass shootings, really. I think we could have solved this years ago if it had not become such a partisan issue. Liberals think it’s a gun situation, not a mental health issue. Conservatives think it’s a mental health issue and not a gun issue. Really, if we actually think about it and don’t just put on our red or blue shirts and go into battle mode, it is both and then some. There are multiple things that have brought us to this point.
- Competition society – Everything is a competition in America. Sports, career, money, cars, grades, likeability are just a few of the things where everyone wants to be better. It’s great to be a winner in America, and it really sucks to be a loser. This starts early with PE in school, soccer leagues, cheerleading tryouts, etc. When kids lose they feel bad about themselves. Even when everyone gets a participation trophy, kids still know they lost.
- Crazy guns for civilians – Yes, your average Joe or Jane can buy an assault rifle in America, either legally or illegally. Who decided that people not actively engaged in a military battle needed these guns? Are they for hunting? Have the deer started firing back and you need more powerful guns? It’s ridiculous to be able to kill so quickly and easily.
- Sudafed and cars – Make guns as hard to buy as Sudafed and cars. I have allergies. I buy a lot of Sudafed products. Where I live, you have to have a driver’s license for the state you are buying the product in. When we first moved here, my husband was not allowed to buy Sudafed because he had not gotten his new license yet. You also have to sign for it after having your license scanned. They do this because there is a HOUSEHOLD limit of the amount you can buy. Buying a car requires a lot of documentation, too. You need insurance, you need proof of employment, you need good credit. You can’t just go down to Walmart and buy a Chevy. You shouldn’t be able to buy a gun that easily either.
- Mental health – I don’t know why some of my liberal friends are so offended by the notion that maybe people who shoot dozens of people might not be right in the head. Let’s just take a look at this last gunman, Nikolas Cruz. He tortured and killed animals. I don’t mean he went hunting with his favorite uncle. I mean he threw rocks at a squirrel until it died. For those of you who do not read or watch the news or listen to anyone speak ever, animal abuse is a big red flag. It is seen consistently in those who murder humans, those we call sociopaths or psychopaths. They start out by killing animals as kids. Nikolas did this. You bet your sweet ass it’s a mental health issue. How many sane people would premeditate a mass murder? They premeditate this shit, you guys. They don’t just get really mad and shoot someone right then. Maybe some anti-psychotics and a good long stay at a mental facility would have helped. Who knows?
- Harassment – Everything is harassment now. So, even when we do know that someone is troubled and a possible threat, law enforcement often can’t do anything until that person actually hurts someone. They can’t closely monitor them because that would be harassment.
- Empathy – Instead of seeing each other as the opposition, or hurdles to jump over to reach an ever important goal, we need to see each other as people. We are all people who want to be safe, healthy, and happy. We need to stop putting each other in little boxes. Most of us don’t really fit in them anyway.
We all need to think outside our political boxes if we are going to solve this. This is not about being right or left; this is about living or dying. For real. It is time to see people as people. Let’s stop killing each other and start helping each other. Please.